According to the Mashable article, the familyleaf co-founder, Wesley Zhao, believes the Chinese government has let these photos slip through on purpose. "The Facebook photos content delivery network is still available because the government is concerned about people organizing protests. Photos are not going to rile up protests," Zhao said.
However, I have my own opinion. If Facebook photos start slipping through to China, then what's next? There's always the possibility of something else making its way around. After all, who says a powerful photograph can't start protests?
I see this site being blocked just like the ones before it. Familyleaf allows people to "add family members" to their accounts by simply plugging in their email... much like "adding a friend" on Facebook. On Familyleaf, people can also "write on your board"... Facebook allows people to "write on your wall." I'm no expert but if Familyleaf continues to have features similar to Facebook, China will block it as quickly as it blocked every other social networking site.


Nice post!
ReplyDelete